Former Georgian Minister for Conflict Resolution (2004-2006), cinematographer and director Goga Khaindrava in an interview with UA-Times, explained why the appointment of former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili is unacceptable for Tbilisi, why Interpol is not looking for Saakashvili over dubious earnings of the ex-president and his footnote.
– Why there is a negative reaction from Tbilisi to sovereign right of the Ukraine Government to appoint ex-President of Georgia Mikhail Saakashvili to the post of Deputy Prime Minister of the currently Government of Ukraine?
– To appoint or not to appoint Saakashvili to the post of deputy prime minister is indeed the sovereign right of Ukraine. but, this right is morally questionable, acording to a friendly state and its people.When it comes to a criminal who has been convicted and wanted, this becomes unacceptable from the point of view of Ukrainian and international law.
Obviously for us in Georgia that sooner or later Saakashvili will be in prison. Two convictions have already been passed by three courts; three cases are under investigation. In addition, the European Court of Human Rights “Strasbourg” issued a guilty verdict on four episodes in which Saakashvili appears. These are murders, expropriation of property, torture in prisons. All this is easy to verify. As I wrote in an open letter to President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky – International law seems to have not yet been canceled, just like the rule of civilized relations between states. Not to mention countries with good experience of 100 years of diplomatic relations and centuries-old cultural ties.
– In 2015, Interpol did not put Saakashvili on the international wanted list. is they had good reason for that?
“Why they need to looking for him, everyone knows where he is.” Interpol is looking for those suspects and criminals whose whereabouts are unknown. Everyone knows that Saakashvili lives in Kyiv and appers on television every day. Here the questions are more likely to the Ukrainian prosecutor’s office, why the criminal is not extradited to serve the sentence.
As far as we know, in Ukrainian legislation there is a rule prohibiting convicted persons from holding senior posts. Saakashvili is precisely the person convicted of numerous serious crimes. (Recall that in 2018 Saakashvili was sentenced in absentia to three years in prison on charges of abuse of office and another six years in prison for organizing an attack on deputy Valery Gelashvili – UA-Times).
All these facts should become known to Ukrainian society and lawmakers before the vote. Saakashvili today is a problem primarily for Ukraine.
Although, of course, the problems of Ukraine, these are also our problems, because today we have a common enemy that has occupied the territories of our countries, which is trying to dismember our states, and hinders their economic and political development. Today we are in a single line in the struggle for the future of our peoples, therefore we are concerned about what happening in both Ukraine in Georgia.
– Judging by the statements of Saakashvili, he completely agree with you that Kyiv and Tbilisi have one enemy. Nothing in his words contradicts this …
– Saakashvili is a Russian project. The result of his reign in Georgia, the surrender of two vital regions to Russia, is Abkhazia with access to the Black Sea and Tskhinvali District , which cuts through the central road artery of Georgia. Two powerful Russian military bases, one 30 kilometers from the capital, Tbilisi! The second is at the sea gate of Georgia. Here is the real outcome of Saakashvili’s activities. We have no doubt that this is a Putin project and now this project is involved in Ukraine.
In response to our friendly warnings to the politicians of Ukraine, former and the first President of Ukraine Kravchuk, for example, told us that Ukraine is a sovereign country and has a legitimate right to appoint anyone to any post. We never questioned the legitimacy and sovereign rights of Ukraine, unlike Saakashvili, who intentionally and cynically violated them by the eyes of the whole world, breaking into the territory of Ukraine across the Polish border, deliberately violating the laws and constitution of Ukraine.
We carefully monitored these events and for some reason I do not remember the indignation on the part of Mr. Kravchuk about this impudent violation of the legitimate and sovereign rights of Ukraine. Not to mention the statements of our former compatriot Arakhamia, who during the Russian military intervention left Abkhazia not towards the rest of Georgia, but towards Russia. In his opinion, Georgia is not the United States and should remain silent. This is a small country and does not have the right to defend the state honor, otherwise Ukrainian tourists will not come to us anymore and we will starve to death. He Looks like a great patriot !
We, as a friendly state and sincere well-wishers of the Ukrainian people, are trying to prevent a violation of the sovereignty of Ukraine. Because, it’s Saakashvili with his uncle – The FSB’s General Temur Alasania, who played a fatal role during the war in 2008, when Georgia lost 20% of its territory, can now harm the sovereignty of Ukraine. The only country interested in destabilization in Ukraine and Georgia is Russia. And the constant source of this destabilization is Saakashvili, and together we have been convinced of this more than once! It is hardly worth stepping twice on the same rake.
-I would note that it was under Saakashvili that the position of Georgia in the anti-corruption world ratings rose very seriously. Nevertheless, he implemented some reforms, perhaps in Ukraine he will turn out to be a good reformer …
– In those years, a successful reform really took place only in the patrol police. And as it turned out later, this reform was fully funded by Bidzina Ivanishvili, and implemented by US advisers who oversaw the progress of this reform at Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs.
But there was another “reform” – the emergence of elitist corruption under Saakashvili. Its result – two prime ministers, three ministers of defense, two ministers of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the prosecutor general, later turned out to be millionaires, some of them on the run, some in prison. One of former defense ministers, who had not worked anywhere before state posts under the regime of Saakashvili, today is a billionaire, lives in London and finances a television channel in Georgia promoting Saakashvili’s rule. He was Minister of Defense in 2008 during the war. This is the real results of Saakashvili’s fight against corruption.
By the way, Saakashvili, who has been unemployed all these years, lives happily in a fashionable apartment in Kiev. Tells everyone that this flat was bought by his mother. And someone asked, where did his mom get this money, and also for an apartment in Florida? There are a lot of questions, but there is no answers. Therefore, the public of Ukraine and deputies of Verkhovna Rada should seriously think about it before making a decision that is fraught with very serious consequences for prestige of Ukraine. and for relations with Georgia.